Below I present my own ESP32-S3 development board. The reason for creating my own development board is twofold:
- While designing my own development boards I am forced to do a lot of research on the subject and as a result I learn a lot about the device I create it for, in this case the ESP32-S3.
- I can put all the functionality on the board I want, I am not limited by the options available commercially. Also, I can skip those bits and pieces that I do not want or care about.
Features and advantages
This board is using the ESP32-S3-MINI-1 module from Espressif. The board’s features include the following:
- USB-C socket for powering the board. Any modern USB power supply can be used to power the board as it “auto-negotiates” 5V DC using resistors on the CC lines.
- The same USB-C socket is wired up to the ESP32-S3’s USB module through an array of ESD protection diodes (SRV05-4).
- Built in 3.3V low dropout regulator for powering the ESP32
- Power LED indicator
- Reset and Boot buttons for easy development
- All GPIOs broken out and grouped logically
- Multiple breakout points for all the power pins on the board (GND, +5V, +3.3V)
- All SMD components to save space (the only exception is a buffer capacitor that has both SMD and TTH footprints – use whichever you have at hand)
- Clear labelling of each pin/function to reduce the risk of mix ups
- Rounded corner
- Holes in the four corners for optional mounting screws should you want to use it in an actual prototype
- Barely bigger than a credit card at 100mm*57mm
Here is the schematics of the development board:
As usual, I designed the PCB using KiCAD. Here is a 3D render of the board:
I’m happy to say this project was sponsored by PCBWay.
You should also give them a try: While it is possible to make your PCBs at home, having an experienced professional fab house, like PCBWay, manufacture the PCBs for you you will get much better and consistent results.
All the PCBs I ordered from them came out great, on time. So why wait, give them a try! Clicking on the image on the left will even give you some extra discount! You can also order your development board cli
The BOM is also available here.
Finally, if you haven’t yet, check out my other development boards!